The 4th Friday after Easter Is a public Holliday in Denmark. Danes celebrate Great Prayer Day (Store Bededag) and traditionally eat hot buns (varme hveder) the day before. Try our version with crème de caramel.
3 dl milk
25 g yeast
1 stk salt
70 g sugar
1,5 tsp. cardamom
500 g flour
75 g soft butter
Crème de caramel
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk and add salt and sugar.
- Add eggs and cardamom and stir thoroughly
- Add flour and knead the dough on a mixer for 4 minutes.
- Add butter and knead the dough for approx. 10 minutes until the dough releases the bowl.
- Let the dough rise under a tea towel for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and shape them into buns.
- Place the buns on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at 1 cm apart and let them rise for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees hot air and bake the buns for 15-20 minutes until they are nice and golden.
- Toast the buns and spread with crème de caramel.
- Bon appétit!